“Borderlands Sponsorships” came about to address the problem that nearly forced Borderlands to close in the spring of 2015.
- An outline of the basic problem that Borderlands faced (and continues to face).
- The announcement of the sponsorship program as a possible solution.
- The announcement of meeting our sponsorship goals for 2015, and list of sponsors.
Borderlands will be looking for 300 sponsors each year from now on to allow us to continue and thrive. The first year that we cannot reach 300 sponsorships, we will know it is time for us to close.
Meanwhile, we hope to be here for a long time to come! Your sponsorship helps ensure that Borderlands will be able to continue to operate and grow in the challenging retail environment that is the city of San Francisco. The primary benefit to our sponsors is that the store will continue to remain open. But we do have an ever-growing list perks that sponsors receive. These include, but are not limited to:
- The ability to reserve seating at author events.
- After-hours and weekend WiFi access in the cafe.
- The ability to rent out the bookstore and cafe space for private events before or after business hours at our cost.
- Quarterly sponsors-only social gatherings.
- The ability to buy tickets for special Sponsors-only events, like writing workshops and Scotch tastings.
- The ability to receive packages and other mail at Borderlands.
- The ability to purchase sponsors-only branded merchandise (clothing, bags, etc).
This list should not be considered comprehensive. The perks of sponsorship are constantly changing and evolving. Please feel free to contact us if you’d like a current list of perks, or an overview of past “sponsors only” events and merchandise.
Sponsorships can be purchased online, in person, or over the phone. We have asked for 300 sponsors each year to keep us open, but we will happily accept as many sponsors as sign up – the extra money gives us a cushion and will allow us to pursue a variety of goals and projects, including creating a non-profit that will eventually take over the operation of the store and ownership of our building.
Local and national coverage of Borderlands’ almost-closure and our sponsorship program
After the announcement of our possible closure, there was an amazing amount of local and national coverage, including: